Sexual addiction is a lot more than being addicted to porn; a sexual addict may not have any addiction to pornographic materials. A sexual addiction is about having unhealthy and uncontrollable impulses with sexual matters. A sexual addict is unable to remain in control of themselves and may engage in dangerous sexual behavior. Here are facts on what sexual addiction is all about.
1) Porn. One of the main components of a sexual addiction is the addiction to pornographic materials. Porn can be easily accessed through the internet via computers, tablets and phones. It can also be accessed through magazines, pictures and videos.
2) An addiction to porn can affect the lives of the addict in multiple ways; it can be a constant distraction from their daily responsibilities. Depending on the degree of the addiction a person may struggle to make it through their day without frequent pornographic materials.
3) Risky behavior can be a sign of sexual addiction. It can be very dangerous to have one night stands and multiple partners. Aside from the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy it could also result in violence. Having one night stands could lead to violent acts, drug use, being robbed or being raped.
4) Massive masturbation, the need to have to masturbate multiple times throughout the day to be able to function.
5) A change in their romantic partners, if the addict is in a romantic relationship the relationship could be effected from the addiction. The intimacy could change and the addict could respond in different ways. They may not want to have sex as often, insist on including porn, and demand certain sexual acts to match what is seen in the porno and other stresses to the relationship.
If you suspect that you or someone you care about is experiencing a sexual addiction it is important to confront them on their problem in a gently and nonjudgmental way. There are therapy and sexual addiction programs available for addicts to beat their addiction. Please visit our sexual & pornography addiction blog at www.lifestartherapy.com/blog for more great information.